Tuesday, September 26, 2017

LEGACY



As we move along our daily paths of life, it is easy to get so caught up in the daily grind that we lose sight of Life’s Bigger Picture.  With the distractions, struggles, and just everyday living, we can easily lose focus of what our life is really all about.   

In my profession I attend a lot of funerals.    So often at these services, we hear neighbors, friends, and relatives stand and give a eulogy to their loved ones.  They share about how the individual impacted their lives.  Often they share about how loving, patient, kind, and maybe what a great cook they were, or how the doors of their home and their hearts were always open.  When these attributes are shared, they are sharing this individual’s legacy – how this individual impacted and touched their lives. 

I have given much thought about the life of my precious mom who went to her heavenly home on June 27, 2012. After much pondering and reflecting, I have come to realize that my mom’s legacy isn’t in what she left behind, but WHO she left behind.  I see my mom’s legacy lived out every time I am with my siblings, or every time I am among people who knew and loved her.
She lived her legacy.   

I have jotted down a few things that I believe will help us keep our focus and give more meaning to our lives as we live out our legacy and have a happier and more fulfilled life.

1)       Having money is nice, but it’s not EVERYTHING!    I like nice things as much as the next person, but very clearly, we cannot take our money or our “things” with us.  My mom and dad lived very modestly.  Growing up, we did not go without anything we needed, but they were very careful with how they spent money.  They were very careful stewards of the resources they were given.   Mother never had expensive jewelry or expensive clothing, but what she did have, tucked away in her personal items were love notes that our precious daddy had given her over the years. Her treasures weren’t in things money could buy…her treasures were in the meaningful relationships she made over the years with her family and friends

Recently my daddy wrote another poem to my mom and with his permission, I am sharing it with you. 
I LOVED
Kip, you never lost the girl inside, for this I will always take pride.

Your eyes and smile will always be the treasurers of you that meant so much to me.

I miss you in my life and will love you always as my wife.

We had so much love, happiness and joy with our three girls and one boy.
You gave me these four children in love.
I could only give to you that from above, my loyalty to our vows and true love.

I loved you then and I love you still.
I loved the girl inside and I always will.

H. H. Davis
March 3, 2016

It is within our power for each one of us to give of our time and resources to do something for others that will make a difference in their lives.  It isn’t ALL about us…in the end, did we make a difference in someone’s life?

2) Follow your passion.    Over the years I have met people who are stuck in doing things that they have no passion for…things that they really have no interest in.   As a child, I had the privilege of having a front row seat in watching my mom and dad follow their passion and it led them all over the world as they shared the gospel and the passion they had for lost souls.  Is it any wonder that in June of 2014, my dad and I with a team from Lawton First Assembly went to Kenya, Africa, to build a church in honor and in memory of Reba Inez Davis?    My mom didn’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out the call that God had placed on her life.  She had the courage to follow her heart, and as a result, she was instrumental in leading her mother, daddy, her siblings, and countless others to Jesus as her legacy lives on. 

3) Learn to appreciate QUIET. I can’t count the number of times that I would call Mom and say, “Hi, Mom, what are you doing?” and her reply would be, “I’m just sitting here being quiet today.”  I knew exactly what that meant, and I could see her with my mind’s eye, sitting in her chair with her Bible open and a hanky in her hand.  As I have reflected on this, I realize that many times I have lost the ability to be quiet.  It is the daily clamor, I believe, that drowns out so much of our own inner voice that is crying out for some QUIET!  By just taking time to be silent each day, by taking time in the morning for a daily devotion and time in the word of God, by taking an after-dinner walk, or just having some much needed porch time, which is my favorite, we will discover what’s important in our lives.    By quieting our hearts and settling our spirits, we can start to make a difference in our lives and in the lives of others also. 

4) Be KIND. This sounds so simplistic, but do we practice it? Treating people with the respect that each person is due is part of what you will leave behind. You can be strict, you can be firm, you can be a visionary, but never ever treat others with disrespect because at the end of the day, when you’re gone—that’s what people will remember.  I have to say, I do remember this about my mother.  She was strict, and she was firm…but she was VERY REAL!  She did not treat people with disrespect and would go out of her way to help anyone.

5) Believe in something greater than yourself.   It is very important to realize that we are part of a greater purpose.  My mom demonstrated that in so many ways through her years as a pastor’s wife.  We are all linked together in this web of life. By realizing that, we can reach beyond ourselves and offer a “hand up” to those we come in contact with.   At the end of the day that is our legacy.





No comments: